Saturday, March 19, 2011

Unexpected Blessing

I had an odd experience at work yesterday.  I received a call to help translate for a Spanish speaking patient in our antepartum unit. I was busy so I asked for a translator to be called to help. I hate not translating for my coworkers so I made a call. The translator still had not arrived and the patient was still waiting. I went over to see her and spoke to her nurse briefly. The picture I found was not pretty. She has multiple issues and I felt kind of scared.... anyway I spoke to her and did what I had to do with the official paperwork. I then asked her about her history and her family life. She has family but they don't visit her at all. She said they are all working and will see her Wednesday (this was Friday). I felt so sorry for her. I don't know if she is slow or if she is shy but we soooo bonded. She probably will be there for over 10weeks. Can you imagine being stuck in a hospital, unable to speak English well and not have family to visit you. This sweet lady had no clue how she touched my heart that day but she did.  I cannot imagine the fear, anxiety, and the questions she might be having. I tried to comfort her and I did visit her once again today. It truly made me realize how blessed I am and how sometimes the SMALL things in life are truly no BIG deal at all.
XOXO

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure she really appreciated that you took some time for her. What a blessing to be bilingual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh im sure you were a blessing for her too!

    ReplyDelete